Canada Family and Spouse class Immigration

Canada Family and Spouse class Immigration

An immigrant who has moved to Canada can then bring his family and spouse there as a sponsor, or he can apply for his family’s immigration and bring them to Canada. The basic guide 5525 from the department of immigration contains details regarding both these kinds of applications. If a person (the sponsor) agrees to sponsor another person (the principal applicant) into Canada, he needs to sign a declaration that he agrees to bear the basic financial needs of that person and his/her dependent children.

Canada Family and Spouse Class Immigration The principal applicant (person being sponsored) could be a spouse, common law partner, conjugal partner or a dependent child under the age of 22. Basic financial needs include food, clothing and shelter of course,
but in this document it also includes dental care, eye care and other health needs that are not covered under the government’s health
services. This undertaking tells the government that the principal applicant won’t ask the government for any kind of support, and that the sponsor will continue to keep his word even if the situation changes later (financial problems, divorce etc.).

A sponsor needs to be at least 18 years old. He must be a Canadian citizen, or an Indian registered in Canada under the Canadian Indian Act, or a permanent resident staying in Canada. The sponsor needs to show evidence that he isn’t receiving any kind of government aid or social assistance. As always, Quebec province has a separate set of rules for sponsorship, which must be adhered to by a prospective sponsor who lives and works in Quebec. There is a long list of situations provided in 5525 in which a person cannot become a sponsor. A few examples are – outstanding immigration loans or performance bonds, failure to provide basic needs of a previously sponsored applicant, bankruptcy and several others. Also, both sponsor and applicant should not fall under the category of ‘inadmissible to Canada’ due to involvement in organized crime, posing of security threat, earlier conviction of a crime, guilty of human or international rights violation, health problems, financial problems etc.

The applicant (person being sponsored) needs to be at least 18 years old. The principal applicant could be a spouse, or common law partner or conjugal partner or dependent child. The spouse or partner should be able to prove that sponsor-applicant relationship is genuine and wasn’t entered to just for the purpose of getting permanent residence in Canada.

Call Now
Enquire Now